The Algas microfilter can be described as a drum filter with special features. Filtering from the inside and out allows the recovery trough to be installed on the inside of the drum. This means the filter operates with a much higher level compared to conventional designs, increasing filtration time and improving efficiency.
No vacuum, but only atmospheric pressure is used. This gives a soft filtering action, neither pushing nor pulling solids into the filtering medium. Any solids in the clear filtrate are microscopic, making the clear water safe for re-use. The principle also allows for easy cleaning of the filter medium. Filter cloth types range from 10 micron for special applications to as large as 1000 micron for thickening applications.
The microfilters are available in many different sizes. The capacity of a filter depends on several process parameters such as production type, water type, flow, fiber content, pH-values, temperature, required cleaning effect, content of fillers and other materials. We have a long experience of dimensioning the filters for each unique application, and we select the optimal solution based on operating data from similar installations.
Algas microfilters have been used for water treatment in many different applications, including:
- River water treatment
- Fiber recovery – using the clear filtrate to replace fresh water
- Improving “clear” water from existing save-alls, DAF and disc filters to a super clear quality
- Treating filtrate from screw presses – saving water, fiber and fractionating out fines and filler
- Separate treatment of DIP sludge
- Increasing capacity of existing effluent systems
- Treating black liquor
- Pre-thickening of bio sludge
- Microfiltration after final bio treatment for water re-use or discharge