About: Erwin Polmann - Public Relation
"PTS is a foundation of the German paper Industry. That includes paper manufacturers, paper converts and the supplying industries. The Papiertechnische Stiftung (PTS) provides support to companies from all sectors in the development and application of modern fibre-based solutions based on research & development, consultancy, measurement engineering and training."
1. Pulp and Paper is the oldest sector whose needs are different in many ways compared to other industries. What is your perception in this regard?
Pulp and Paper faced many challenges in his long history. Today it needs new products to compete with digital applications and new processes to be part of the future low-carbon bio-economy. The Pulp and Paper sector has good chances for his sustainable products fit exactly what the customer prefers.
2. Can you please outline the basic structure of Papiertechnische Stiftung (PTS)?
PTS is a foundation of the German paper Industry. That includes paper manufacturers, paper converts and the supplying industries. The Papiertechnische Stiftung (PTS) provides support to companies from all sectors in the development and application of modern fibre-based solutions based on research & development, consultancy, measurement engineering and training. A staff of 150 at two locations in Munich and Heidenau/Dresden generates an annual turnover of around EUR 14mn.
3. Founded in 1951, Papiertechnische Stiftung (PTS) has been a leading provider of research, consultancy, testing services and training in the areas of New Materials, Packaging, Print Products and Resource Efficiency. Would you like to share some insights on the company’s products & services range?
Based on their know-how in research & development, the PTS staff, working in close collaboration with the companies involved, develop new, future-oriented products. By virtue of their outstanding knowledge of national and European funding programmes, development projects can be conducted in a particularly economical and cost-effective manner. PTS experts have been very successful in applying for and obtaining funding for innovative projects. They also provide customer support during this application process. Pilot plants with state-of-the-art facilities in Munich and Heidenau/Dresden make product testing possible on an industry-oriented scale. With its consultancy services, PTS enhances the efficiency of mill processes, minimises operating costs, optimises energy and water management, maximises the efficient use of resources and prepares expert opinions. The chemical and physical laboratories at PTS are equipped with innovative and conventional testing laboratories for paper materials including semi-finished and finished products. The samples are subjected to comprehensive testing and subsequent evaluation by skilled staff with long years of experience in this sector. PTS supplies not only reliable measured data, customers also receive upon request solutions for operational troubleshooting. In PTS seminars, workshops and symposia, experienced speakers from science and industry deliver top-quality lectures and papers. Thematic focal points include stock preparation, deinking, papermaking, chemical management, energy and water management, surface/coating technology, paper converting as well as measuring and sensor technology.
4. What motivated you to join pulp and paper industry? What are the major challenges you have faced? How did you overcome it?
Being founded by the pulp and paper industry this is our natural market. Major challenges we faced and still face today are the development of innovative, ecologically-friendly products and processes. With our strong research capacity and being part of a European research network we have excellent conditions to support our customers to encounter this challenges successfully
5. What kind of value added solution you offer to the Pulp and Paper Industry? Your plans for new product developments? What are the opportunities you find in Pulp and Paper Industry?
Our unique selling point is the broad and detailed knowledge of the processes in the whole value chain, grown in over 60 years of research and customers projects. We see a lot of future prospects in building new, innovate materials based on natural fibres. Paper has more possibilities than just printing or packaging. It may be uses a lightweight-material in construction, in air purification and thermal management, as fire protection material and providing electromagnetic protection
6. How do you see things going forward in Asian region?
Regarding the Asian markets we see that they are highly competitive in producing paper and packaging for the mass market and that will go on. Europe has its strength in highly specialized and tailored products that require high-technology.
7. Emerging markets like India & other Asian regions are currently witnessing faster maturity in Pulp and Paper Industry towards adoption of IT driven systems and sophisticated technology applications. How do you foresee opportunities in such markets and what are your strategies to expand business in these markets?
We see good opportunities in offering high-tech measuring systems e.g. for automated control of waste paper balls or quality inspection. We made the experience that it is necessary to have a good domestic reseller. Up to now we are concentrating on the European market and are just starting activities in Japan.
8. Everyone talks about effective customer service, ensuring Customer Delight. How do you ensure this at your?
We have a very flat hierarchy and the contact persons for our customers are doing sales as well as research and development. So customers have a unique contact person that acts as key account manager and can ensure that customer expectations are fulfilled
9. Pulp and Paper Technology (www.pulpandpaper-technology.com ) is a connecting point for buyers and suppliers across the global Pulp and Paper industry. Used daily as means of creating partnerships and as a point of reference by professionals within the pulp and paper industry, this comprehensive resource supplies the latest news releases, detailed information on industry projects, event information and careful segregation of products and services. What do you think about our website www.pulpandpaper-technology.com which promotes & brands Pulp and Paper industry today on such a wide scale?
The website of Pulp and Paper Technology is a really handsome, easy-to-use platform for our sector. We like the miscellaneous possibilities to read up upon new information, may it be products & services, suppliers, events or recent news about markets and trends. It is important to emphasize that the regularly newsletter gives an excellent additional value to this information platform.